Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Home Boy

My first two cildren were born at a hospital like most American babies. Both experiances left me less than satisfied.So when I found out about baby #3 the first thing I did was find a good midwife so I could start planning a home birth. People are always interested to find out why I chose a home birth and what it was like. So here goes. At the hospital I always felt bullied "Let us induce you," "Let us drug you," "Don't get out of bed." It just seems to me no matter how hard a woman trys to have the birth experience she wants the hospital always has another plan. Don't get me wrong I think obgyns are great for woman who have legitimate need for intervention, but an average healthy woman can have a baby the all natural way. After having two kids the all american way I already felt this way but when my sister Heather had a totally unneccesary c-section I had seen enough and surrendered fully to the idea of a home birth.Plus home birth only cost us $2600 and I got to recover in the privacy and comfort of my own home. So on thursday Feb. 4th I started having little contractions in the middle of the day. Around 6 or 7 the contractions started getting stronger and by 8 they were very strong and one right after the other. My midwife and her assistant just waited around my house for me to ask for them which was perfect for me. My sweet husband was by my side the whole time encouraging me and remaining calm despite the fact that I was yelling and screaming "I can't do it". It was very much like those scenes in movies where the mother is sweating and hysterical. I know that doesn't sound very promising to mother's planning an all natural birth, but I wouldn't change a thing and I will definately do it again, the Lord willing. After it was all over I was so happy to be at home, with my precious son Calvin. When I finally felt ready to shower my husband, not a nurse, helped me shower and get dressed, and for the next couple of days he did his best to take care of everthing so I didn't have to. I will always look back on those few crazy days after his birth and remember what an amazing, patient, and caring husband I have. These days Calvin is doing wonderful and is healthy as can be. And I am thankful, I finally got a birth experience, that was not what I expected, but definately something I have no regrets about!

I want to dedicate this entry to my sister, Heather, I hope that next time around you get to have a safe all natural delivery, I believe in you. and to Amanda Geidl I hope you soon join me in being one of the only woman in Van Buren County to have a home birth.

1 comment: